top of page

Working Papers

If you are aged 14-17 you will need an employment certificate, also called working papers, in order to hold a job in New York State. This rule covers:

  • High school graduates

  • Minors who work for their parents

  • Minors who do industrial homework


Working papers are divided into two age groups (14-15 and 16-17):

14-15-year-olds - Your working papers are blue. If you are 14 and 15 years old, you are issued these working papers because you are not allowed to work in a factory.

16-17-year-olds (in school) - Your working papers are green. The difference between 14-15 year old working papers and 16-17 year old working papers is that you are allowed to work in a factory. You cannot work around certain machines, do construction work, help on a motor vehicle, clean, oil, wipe, or adjust belts on machinery.

What You Need

You will need to have had a doctor's exam within the last 12 months saying you are physically fit. 

You will also need official identification that you can provide proof of age, such as your birth certificate, a state-issued photo ID, driver's license, or passport.

Please bring the completed Application for Employment Certificate form (you can obtain one from the office or download & print  below) and your identification to he school office and Mrs. Buck will issue your working papers.

bottom of page